Updated: Oct 31, 2018
Deviled Eggs Made With Avocado
This simple meal or snack is a fun take on traditional deviled eggs and uses avocado instead of mayo for increased monounsaturated fatty acids. It's also gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free and kid-approved (and kid-friendly to make!) making it a great option for many different dietary needs. These deviled eggs are creamy, with just the right amount of smoky flavor (from the smoked paprika) and offer up protein, along with vitamins and minerals, such as choline and iron. Also, they're delicious and take less than 5 minutes to put together if you have hard boiled eggs already made!
Ingredients (serves 1):
2 large eggs, raw
dash salt and pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
water, for boiling eggs
1. Place eggs in small saucepan and add cold water until eggs are just covered by water. If you already have hard boiled eggs, skip to step 4 (and make this snack in less than 5 minutes)!
2. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn off heat and leave saucepan on the burner for 15-20 minutes (depending on how firm you like your yolk!)
3. Empty water from saucepan and run cold water over eggs, them empty water again. Remove eggs, pat with paper towel and allow to cool before placing in fridge for at least 1 hour.
4. Remove eggs from fridge and remove shell. Run eggs under wate to remove any small shell fragments, pat dry with paper towel and slice each egg lengthwise.
5. Use a small spoon to remove yolk from each egg and place in small bowl.
6. Cut avocado in half, lengthwise and scoop 1/4 avocado into the bowl (if your avocado is very small, you may want to use 1/2).
7. Add dash salt and pepper and use a fork to mix ingredients until will combined.
8. Use small spoon to scoop egg yolk/avocado mixture back into the hollow part of each egg. Top with smoked paprika. Enjoy!
*You may want to slice the eggs and the avocado yourself if you are making this recipe with kids, or use a kid-friendly knife and supervise children at all times.
**This is a great #mealprep item, as these will last 2-3 days in an airtight container!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = 4 deviled egg halves, or 2 eggs)
Calories 225 calories, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 372 mg, Carbohydrates 5 g, Protein 14 g, Sodium 301 mg, Calcium 63 mg
*Please Note: This dish is free from gluten-containing ingredients, however, if you need to avoid all potential sources of cross contamination (such as in the case of celiac disease), I recommend using certified gluten free products, including spices.
#eggs #deviledeggs #greeneggs #avocado #quicksnack #easyrecipe #simplerecipe #kidfriendlyrecipes #recipeforkids #snack #meal #dietitianrecipe #avocadoeggs #grabandgosnack #quicksnackidea #protein #glutenfree #dairyfree #breakfast #makeaheadmeal #dietitian #dietitianrecipe #dietitianblog