Updated: Dec 30, 2019
Gut - Healthy Green Soup
I should have called this soup, "The Most Veggies You Will Ever Eat in One Sitting Soup" - because this soup is packed with a ton of veggies! It's an easy, one-pot recipe that makes enough for you to enjoy throughout the week and get a few servings of veggies with each serving! Also, with ingredients like spinach, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, leeks, garlic and avocado, this soup has anti-inflammatory properties. It can be eaten hot or cold, although I prefer it hot. If you think a green, veggie-filled soup can't be tasty, wait until you try this!
Ingredients (yields approximately 12 two-cup servings):
*Wash and dry all vegetables before chopping
1 heart celery (about 8 stalks) 2 leeks, chopped 2 medium zucchini, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 16 oz riced cauliflower 12 oz (or about 4 C) broccoli florets, steamed (I like to place them in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with paper towel and cook on high for about 3 minutes). 4 C baby kale 4 C baby spinach 1/4 C oil (I like to use avocado oil) 3/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder 4 C vegetable broth (I typically use Trader Joe's brand, which has about 330 mg sodium per serving. If you opt for a low sodium broth or choose a broth with significantly more sodium per serving, you may need to adjust the salt in this recipe to taste.)
3 C water (may need additional to thin out soup to desired texture) 1 Tbsp parsley 1/2 avocado
1. Warm oil in large pot over medium heat. Add celery, leeks and zucchini and sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté another 5 minutes.
2. Add riced cauliflower and sauté another 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are soft and just beginning to brown slightly.
3. Add steamed broccoli. Add spinach and kale and cook another 3-4 minutes, until spinach and kale are wilted, mixing occasionally.
4. Add vegetable broth, water, salt, garlic powder and ground black pepper. Mix all ingredients and raise heat to high, bringing soup to a boil.
5. Slice avocado in half, remove pit and add avocado to soup. Add parsley.
6. Blend soup until pureed and mostly smooth (I like to use my Immersion Blender, but you can also transfer the soup to a blender. Just be careful, as soup will be very hot and the soup may need to be blended in shifts, depending on the size of your blender!)
7. Serve, garnish with additional parsley, if desired, and enjoy!
*This soup will stay in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
**While this soup is not made with any gluten-containing ingredients, make sure to use certified gluten free ingredients if you need to limit all potential sources of cross-contact, including broth and spices.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = approximately 2 C soup)
Calories 104 calories, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 11 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 4 g, Sodium 220 mg, Calcium 80 mg
#souprecipe #recipe #easyrecipe #vegan #veganrecipe #vegetarian #vegetarianrecipe #guthealthysoup #greensoup #veggiesoup #pureedsoup #dietitianrecipe #dietitianblog #soup #cooking #glutenfreerecipe #glutenfree