Updated: Jan 31, 2019
The Perfect Game Day Treat: Baked Buffalo Cauliflower!
This Baked Buffalo Cauliflower is crispy and delicious, with just the right amount of heat and less fat (and saturated fat) than buffalo wings! It's also the perfect food for game day, since it has all of the buffalo flavor, while also providing a serving of veggies (something that may be otherwise lacking on a table filled with pizza and nachos)! This dish can also be made gluten free by swapping the whole wheat breadcrumbs for gluten free breadcrumbs, making this dish a suitable option for vegetarians, those who need to avoid gluten and anyone else looking for a delicious snack during the game!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (yields 4 servings):
1 large head cauliflower (about 20 oz)
2 large eggs, scrambled, raw
1/2 C whole wheat breadcrumbs, unseasoned
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 C buffalo sauce (I like to use Noble Made by The New Primal Medium Buffalo Sauce)
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Rinse cauliflower, pat dry and cut into florets.
3. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. I like to line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil for a no-mess clean-up!
4. Mix spices (garlic powder, onion powder) with breadcrumbs. Dip each cauliflower floret in the egg, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture. Place each breaded cauliflower floret on the baking sheet.
5. Bake cauliflower in oven for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, pour buffalo sauce over cauliflower, mix with a spoon until cauliflower is coated with buffalo sauce and distribute cauliflower so it lays in a single, thin layer on the baking sheet.
6. Place cauliflower back in oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, until crispy. Serve with optional ranch or blue cheese dressing, sour cream, Greek yogurt, carrots and celery and enjoy!
*Please Note: If you are swapping the whole wheat breadcrumbs for gluten free breadcrumbs and need to avoid all potential sources of cross contact, such as in the case of celiac disease, I recommend choosing certified gluten free options for all other ingredients, including spices and buffalo sauce, as well!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = approximately 1 C cauliflower)
Calories 119 calories, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 93 mg, Carbohydrates 18 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 8 g, Sodium 1012 mg, Calcium 52 mg
#buffalosauce #buffalocauliflower #superbowl #superbowlfood #gamedayfood #gameday #appetizer #footballfood #footballappetizer #cauliflowerrecipe #athleterecipe #athlete #sports #vegetarian #vegetarianrecipe #vegetarianbuffalorecipe #roastedcauliflower #bakedcauliflower #dietitianrecipe #dietitianblog