Updated: Nov 5, 2018
When I'm entertaining in the summer, I like to keep things simple and cool (i.e. I try to avoid turning on the oven for fear that my guests will melt before we sit down to eat). These simple avocado boats stuffed with mozzarella and tomato fit the bill, can be served as an appetizer or a side dish and can be made in about 5 minutes. Serve with a dinner made on the grill to keep guests (and you) out of the kitchen and enjoying the sunshine!
Ingredients (serves 4):
6 cherry tomatoes
2 oz fresh mozzeralla
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1. Slice each avocado in half, lengthwise. Remove pit. Use spoon to remove small amount of avocado from the center of each half that did not contain the pit (this allows for a hollow area that can be filled with toppings) . Set aside.
*Tip: Don't waste that avocado - you can either snack on it, save it for later or incorporate it into the mozzarella and tomato topping!
2. Cut cherry tomatoes into eighths, so they are chopped into small, even pieces.
3. Cut mozzarella into small pieces, similar in size to the tomatoes.
4. Transfer tomato and mozzarella into a small bowl. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients with a spoon until well combined.
5. Use a spoon to transfer ~1/4 of the tomato mozzarella mixture into each avocado "pocket". Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = 1 avocado boat, consisting of 1/2 avocado with 1/4 tomato mozzarella topping)
*Please Note: While this dish is free from gluten-containing ingredients, I recommend using certified gluten free products if you need to avoid potential sources of cross contamination, such as in the case of celiac disease.
Calories 255 calories, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 11 mg, Carbohydrates 10 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 5 g, Sodium 170 mg, Calcium 87 mg