Updated: Nov 5, 2018
This recipe is a favorite of mine for the Fourth of July, and it's always a huge crowd pleaser– no one can ever guess that there is avocado lurking behind the creamy deliciousness of this chocolate summertime favorite. This decadent dessert offers up fiber, healthy fats and antioxidants to get the most out of your sweet tooth. Top with berries and shredded, unsweetened coconut for an ultra festive red, white and blue theme!
Ingredients (yields 6 servings):
3 ripe avocados, pitted and mashed
3/4 C dark chocolate pieces (aim for at least 72% cocoa)
1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 C honey
1/4 C skim milk (can replace with a dairy-free milk alternative, if desired)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. Melt the chocolate using a double boiler technique (bring a small saucepan of water to a boil, cover with a medium-sized bowl and pour chocolate into bowl, stirring continuously until melted). Remove from heat once chocolate is melted and allow to cool slightly.
2. Transfer mashed avocado to food processor. Add all other ingredients, adding the melted chocolate last to allow for some extra cooling time (this will prevent the milk from curdling).
3. Blend until smooth, about 45 seconds – 1 minute. The consistency should be mousse-like, although the batter will be slightly liquid at room temperature.
4. Divide batter among 6 small serving bowls in servings about equal to 1/2 C. I did this by transferring batter to a large plastic bag, removing air and sealing it, then snipping a hole in the corner to make my own pastry bag. Then, I squeezed the batter into the six bowls.
5. Top with optional toppings – I topped my mousse with berries and a pinch of unsweetened, shredded coconut to add to the festivities (and the antioxidants)!
6. Store in refrigerator until chilled, at least 3-4 hours (or store for about 3-4 days if not serving right away). Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = ~1/2 C mousse)
Calories 255 calories, Total Fat 17 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 1 mg, Carbohydrates 27 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 4 g,Sodium 112 mg, Calcium 38 mg
*Analysis made using skim milk. No toppings were included in this analysis.
*Please Note: While this dish is free from gluten-containing ingredients, I recommend using certified gluten free products if you need to avoid potential sources of cross contamination, such as in the case of celiac disease.
#avocado #avocadoswap #avocadodessert #sweets #dessert #summerdessert #nobake #nobakedessert #nocook #nocookdessert #chocolate #mousse #healthy #dietitian #recipe #easyrecipe #summerrecipe #glutenfree #glutenfreerecipe