Chunky, Creamy Tomato Soup with Feta and Basil
This chunky tomato soup is filled with flavor - without the FODMAPs! For those of you following a low FODMAP diet, it may seem difficult to find soup options without onion and garlic. So, I promised that I would develop some low FODMAP soup options for you and this one is so perfect on a chilly, winter day! This soup is so simple to make and will be loved by anyone - whether you are following a low FODMAP diet or not! And the best part? It comes together in about 45 minutes!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (yields about 6 servings):
1/3 C leeks (green parts only, to keep low FODMAP)
2 28-oz cans unsalted crushed plum tomatoes (I used the one from Trader Joe's with basil)
3 Tbsp garlic infused oil (you can purchase this online at fodyfoods.com or Amazon, or you can make it yourself)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/3 C lactose-free half and half
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/2 C feta, crumbled
1. Warm oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, until softened and slightly browned.
2. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Mix all ingredients and raise heat to high heat, allowing the soup to come to a boil. Allow soup to boil for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Add the basil, cover and reduce to a simmer for about 25 minutes.
4. Once simmered, remove the bay leaf. Puree soup using blender (I used my Cuisinart immersion blender and kept it chunky, but you can use a regular blender and puree the soup until desired consistency. If you are using a traditional blender, be careful transferring the soup, as it will be very hot. If you are using a traditional blender, transfer the pureed soup back into the large pot after this step).
5. Once blended, add the half and half. In order to prevent curdling, I recommend taking a few spoonfuls of soup into a bowl and allowing it to cool slightly for about 2 minutes. Add the half and half to this bowl, mix with a spoon, then slowly add to soup. Mix all ingredients with a spoon until well combined.
6. Add the feta, mix and serve!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = approximately 1 C soup)
Calories 200 calories, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 16 mg, Sodium 619 mg, Carbohydrates 19, Fiber 9, Protein 6 g, Sodium 619 mg, Calcium 170 mg
* I recommend choosing certified gluten free items for all ingredients if all possible sources of cross-contact need to avoided, such as in the case of celiac disease.
*Note: This blog post contains affiliate links, meaning I will make a commission if a purchase is made using that link at no additional cost to you. I never promote a product that I do not truly love on my website and all opinions are my own.
#soup #tomatosoup #tomatobasilsoup #tomatofetasoup #lowfodmap #lowfodmaprecipe #lowfodmapsoup #lowfodmaptomatosoup #glutenfreesoup #glutenfree #glutenfreerecipe #easysouprecipe #easytomatosoup #noonion #nogarlic