Easy, Cheesy, Baked Jalapeño Poppers
Baked Jalapeño Poppers
This may be my favorite party appetizer ever! These baked Jalapeño Poppers require very little effort and skill and come out delicious! Jalapeño poppers are one of my favorite party foods, but I don't always want to eat the fried, creamy stuff. I made these when I was craving jalapeño poppers at home and decided to try baking them. Let me tell you, they came out amazing! These will certainly be on my table for Super Bowl tonight and they will now definitely be a part of my entertaining repertoire. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do in our house!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (yields 4 servings):
8 oz jalapeños (about 4 large jalapeños)
1/4 C whole wheat breadcrumbs, unseasoned (*Use gluten free breadcrumbs if needed)
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, scrambled, raw
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or any cheese blend you prefer!)
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut ends off jalapeño peppers, then slice in half. Remove seeds, rinse under water and pat dry with a paper towel (*Note: be careful when working with jalapeño peppers - do not touch your eyes after touching the seeds, as this can cause them to burn!)
3. In a medium sized bowl, add breadcrumbs and spices (garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, salt). Spray small baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray (I like place a sheet of aluminum foil on the baking sheet and spray the aluminum foil for a no-mess clean-up!)
4. Dip each jalapeño half in egg, followed by breadcrumbs. I like to use a spoon to pour the breadcrumbs over the jalapeños, holding the jalapeños over the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Place each jalapeño on the aluminum foil with the skin side facing down.
5. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes. Broil for an additional 3 minutes, until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Be careful not to left them burn!
6. Remove jalapeños from oven. Sprinkle shredded cheese over each popper, distributing evenly. Place back in oven for another 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
*If you used gluten free breadcrumbs and need to avoid all potential sources of cross contact, such as in the case of celiac disease, I recommend using certified gluten free ingredients, including breadcrumbs and spices
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = 2 jalapeño poppers)
Calories 172 calories, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 77 mg, Carbohydrates 11 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 10 g, Sodium 364 mg, Calcium 220 mg
#jalapeño #jalapeñopoppers #bakedjalapeñopoppers #easyappetizer #easybakedappetizer #holidayappetizer #entertainingdish #entertaining #footballfood #superbowlfood #superbowlsundayrecipe #superbowlrecipe #easyrecipe #dietitianrecipe #dietitianblog #cheesyjalapeños #athlete