Baked Meatballs with Onion, Garlic and Seasoning
Pasta with meatballs and marinara may be my ultimate favorite when it comes to dinner. It's warm and hearty and delicious - but sometimes the pan-fried meatballs with pasta and a heavy sauce don't always sit well. I started baking my meatballs years ago and I now do this for many types of meatballs, whether they're made with beef, chicken or turkey. My baked beef meatballs are simple and great for an easy and quick weeknight meal (and even better as leftovers for salads, sandwiches and grain bowls the next day)! I typically pair them with pasta (most often Banza, a pasta made with chickpeas and pea protein for increased protein and fiber), but these meatballs are also delicious with veggie noodles, rice, farro or quinoa - or really, anything! Also, they taste great with my Homemade Tomato Sauce!
Ingredients (yields ~20 meatballs, about 5 servings)
16 oz (1 lb.) lean or extra lean ground beef (I like to use grass-fed beef, if possible, such as Nature's Rancher)
1/4 C whole wheat breadcrumbs, unflavored (or swap for gluten free breadcrumbs if needed!)
1 large egg, scrambled, raw
1/4 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp parsley
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Add ground beef and egg to a large mixing bowl.
4. Add breadcrumbs (or GF breadcrumbs), onion, garlic and spices (garlic powder, salt, oregano, onion powder, parsley, ground black pepper) to bowl. Using your hands, mix all ingredients together, kneading the mixture into a large ball until ingredients are well combined.
5. Using your hands, make small balls, approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll each ball so it holds well and place on baking sheet. This recipe yields approximately 20 meatballs.
6. Bake in oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 35 minutes (an internal thermometer should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit). Remove from oven, serve with your choice of sauce (and pasta, veggies) and enjoy!
*Please Note: If you are gluten free and need to avoid all gluten, including cross-contamination, make sure to use certified gluten free ingredients, such as breadcrumbs and spices
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = approximately 4 meatballs)
Calories 172 calories, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 37 mg, Carbohydrates 4 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 21 g, Sodium 312 mg, Calcium 21 mg
#meatballs #bakedmeatballs #healthy #nutrition #easymeatballrecipe #easymeatballs #simplemeatballs #dietitianblog #dietitianrecipe #dietitian #beef #grassfed #baked #bakednotfried #bakedrecipe #recipe #kidfriendly #familyrecipe