Updated: Oct 31, 2018
This is probably my favorite dish when the temperature starts to drop and we begin to enjoy the produce that thrives in the cooler weather. Brussels sprouts are a part of the cruciferous veggie group (like cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage) and offer a hearty texture and flavor that I love to balance with the sweetness of pomegranate arils. Also, the walnuts add some crunch and nuttiness to round out this dish. I've been making this side dish for years and it makes frequent appearances at my holiday tables since it's so beautiful and such a crowd pleaser, but I also make it with dinner often because it is so simple! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family and I do!
Ingredients (serves 10):
32 oz (2 lb.) Brussels sprouts
1/4 C oil, plus additional 1 Tbsp, separated (I like to use avocado oil)
3/4 C raw walnut halves, unsalted
5 oz (or about 3/4 C) pomegranate arils
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Wash Brussels sprouts and pat dry. Cut each in half (or in quarters if very large) and transfer to baking sheet.
4. Drizzle 1/4 C oil over Brussels sprouts. Add spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder).
5. Bake in oven for approximately 30-35 minutes, until browned and crispy, mixing occasionally (~15 minutes). Remove from oven, add walnuts and drizzle remaining 1 Tbsp oil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until desired crispiness.
6. Transfer to large bowl, add pomegranate arils, mix and serve while warm. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 168 calories, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 12 g, Fiber 4, Protein 5 g, Sodium 139 mg, Calcium 46 mg
*Note: This is dish does not contain any gluten-containing ingredients, however, if you need to avoid sources of cross contamination (as with celiac disease), I recommend using certified gluten free ingredients, including spices.
#veggies #sidedish #holidaydish #holidayrecipe #glutenfree #glutenfreerecipe #dairyfree #dairyfreerecipe #vegetarian #vegetarianrecipe #pomegranate #pomegranatearils #brusselssprouts #roastedbrusselssprouts #crispybrusselssprouts #cooking #easyrecipe #simplerecipe #fiber #thanksgivingrecipe #thanksgivingsidedish #fallrecipe #seasonalrecipe #winterrecipe