Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I love Broccoli Cheddar Soup, but sometimes I don't love the way I feel after eating a bowl of the hearty soup. I lightened up this version by omitting the heavy cream and even the milk and I kept things very basic - just broccoli, broth, water, cheddar and spices. Also, it only takes about 1 hour to make, so you're not simmering soup all afternoon. I love that this recipe makes a large batch so that I can look forward to leftovers with my lunches and dinners throughout the week, especially into the colder months! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I (and my family and friends) do!
Ingredients (serves 6):
8 C broccoli florets (about 2 large broccoli crowns, chopped)
4 C vegetable broth (I prefer the Trader Joe's Hearty Vegetable Broth, which has about 330 mg sodium, for reference, as opposed to a low sodium or one that is loaded with sodium)
3 C water
1 Tbsp butter or oil (I like to use Kerrygold butter or avocado oil)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt (optional, may need more or less depending on the amount of sodium in the broth)
5 oz shredded cheddar cheese (I like to use sharp cheddar and grate it myself, but you can use mild cheddar and you can purchase shredded cheese, if you prefer)
1. Wash broccoli under running water in a strainer. Set aside.
2. Melt butter or oil in large pot over medium heat. Add broccoli, broth and water. Stir all ingredients, cover, raise to high heat and bring to a boil. Allow broth with broccoli to boil for approximately 10-15 minutes, until broccoli is soft and no longer bright green.
3. Add spices (onion powder, ground black pepper, nutmeg, optional salt), mix and cover, leaving lid slightly off. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
4. Use immersion blender (I love the one linked to My Favorite Amazon Products post) to blend broccoli so that is smooth, but remains slightly chunky. You can also use a traditional blender, although you may have to blend the soup in shifts.
5. Cook soup on low setting once pureed for approximately 5 minutes. Slowly add the cheese while mixing the soup with a spoon. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 155 calories, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 32 mg, Carbohydrates 9 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 9 g, Sodium 300 mg, Calcium 227 mg
#soup #broccolicheddarsoup #lightbroccolicheddarsoup #lightbroccolicheddar #broccolisoup #broccoli #cheddar #dietitian #dietitianrecipe #dietitianblog #soupseason #fallsoup #wintersoup #souprecipe #easysouprecipe #simplesouprecipe #dairy #cheese #homemadesoup #recipe #healthy #nutrition