Broccoli Cheddar Casserole with Whole Wheat Panko
This broccoli cheddar casserole is a family favorite of mine! Rather than using mayonnaise, heavy cream and cream cheese, this recipe lightens up your favorite favorite holiday casserole while adding in satiating protein! However, no one would ever notice - they'll be too busy enjoying and fighting over the last piece! I like to make this dish earlier in the day, keep it in the fridge and top it with the panko, remaining cheddar and salt and pop it in the oven just before company arrives. If you need to make this dish gluten free, simply swap out the panko for gluten free panko and the flour for gluten free flour. I hope you enjoy this holiday favorite as much as we do in our house!
Ingredients (serves 20):
3 1/2 large heads broccoli, cut into florets (about 11 C florets)
1/4 C butter (I like to use Kerrygold grass-fed butter)
1/2 C all-purpose flour (or gluten free flour, if needed)
2 C plain Greek yogurt (I recommend using either 0% of 2% fat, either will work well)
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 C)
1 1/2 C whole wheat panko (or GF panko, if needed)
1 C half and half milk
Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Boil broccoli florets until bright green and tender, approximately 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in medium-sized saucepan. Add 1/4 C flour.
4. Mix Greek yogurt with remaining 1/4 C flour in medium-sized bowl. Take 1 Tbsp of butter/flour mixture and stir into yogurt mixture in order to prevent curdling.
5. Add yogurt mixture, 1/2 tsp salt, ground black pepper, nutmeg, half and half, and 1 C cheddar cheese to saucepan.
6. Cook sauce on low heat until sauce is smooth and thickened, stirring occasionally.
7. Spray 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. Transfer broccoli into casserole dish and spread in a thin, even layer. Pour cream sauce over broccoli and use a large spoon to distribute sauce and broccoli evenly. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and whole wheat panko crumbs. Add remaining kosher 1/2 tsp kosher salt to topping and bake in oven about 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the casserole is heated through.
8. Cut casserole into 5 x 4 rows to yield 20 servings. Enjoy!
*Please Note: This recipe can be made to be gluten free if the panko is swapped for gluten free breadcrumbs and the if flour is swapped for gluten free flour. However, if you need to avoid potential sources of cross contamination, as in the case of celiac disease, I recommend using certified gluten free products, including spices.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = 1/20th, or one piece if cut into 5x4 rows)
Calories 142, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 26 mg, Carbohydrates 12 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 8 g, Sodium 217 mg, Calcium 151 mg
*This post contains affiliate links, meaning I will make a small commission if a purchase is made through that link. I never promote products on the site that I do not truly love.
#broccolicheddarcasserole #broccolicasserole #cheesecasserole #healthycasserole #healthyholidayrecipe #healthythanksgivingrecipe #recipe #dietitianrecipe #dietitianholidayrecipe #cooking #homemade #holidays #dietitianblog