Updated: Oct 31, 2018
Simple, Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
I've been making these cookies for years and I realized recently that I've never shared them with you - and they also happen to be gluten-free, dairy-free and suitable for a low FODMAP diet (so they're pretty much perfect for many different dietary needs). However, the best part is - I initially made this recipe with no dietary restrictions in mind and they taste like a traditional peanut butter cookie! So, whether or not you need to follow a specific diet, these peanut butter cookies are delicious - and made with only 5 simple ingredients (well, 6 if you count the dark chocolate I added..) Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (yields 20 cookies)
1 C natural, creamy peanut butter (I recommend using one that contains salt, so the only ingredients should be peanuts and salt. Also, it's best when it's already been refrigerated - just give it a stir!)
1 C sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Nonstick cooking spray
**optional 1 oz dark chocolate, cut into small shavings (or small dark chocolate morsels)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla extract to a medium-sized bowl. Stir well until all ingredients are well combined. The batter should be mousse-like.
3. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Take small spoonfuls of batter and roll each spoonful into a ball before placing on baking sheet. Balls should be approximately 1 inch in diameter. Leave approximately 1-2 inches between balls on baking sheet. I like to use a larger baking sheet and do rows of 4x5 balls so that all 20 can fit on one baking sheet.
5. Flatten each ball into a small circle with a fork – I like to make a decorative pattern with mine by either leaving the lines from the fork tongs or criss-crossing them back and forth (as shown).
6. If you are adding dark chocolate shavings, sprinkle on top of cookies. I sometimes like to sprinkle chocolate on half the cookies to have both options. If you are not using chocolate, omit this step and proceed to step 7.
7. Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned. Let cool completely before removing from baking sheet, as these cookies fall apart easily if handled too much while warm. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (1 serving = 1 cookie)
Calories 126 calories, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 9 mg, Carbohydrates 12 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 46 mg, Calcium 2 mg
*Please note: While this dish is free from gluten-containing ingredients, I recommend using certified gluten free products if you need to avoid potential sources of cross contamination (such as in the case of celiac disease).
#cookies #easycookierecipe #easycookies #glutenfree #glutenfreecookies #dairyfree #dairyfreecookies #peanutbutter #peanutbuttercookies #homemadecookies #dietitianrecipe #holidayrecipe #easyholidayrecipe #dietitianblog #proteincookies #easyrecipe #kidfriendlyrecipe